Friday, May 1, 2015

April church newsletter article

On the Way . . .



 As I write this article, there is an explosion of items waiting to be contained in my backpack: clothes, sleeping bag, blister treatment, some toiletries, journal, hiking boots, water container, rain poncho . . . The list isn’t so very long, but that almost twenty pounds of stuff will be what I carry with me as I depart in one week for this sabbatical journey. 

 

As you read this, April will have begun. And with it this year comes the end of the journey of Lent. Maundy Thursday and Good Friday will once again be followed by the good news that is Easter Sunday, all on the very first weekend of the month. The long journey toward Jerusalem has been completed . . .but the journey of Easter has just begun! That is news for some - that Easter isn’t just a day, but a seven week season leading to Pentecost. From what we can tell, Easter or the Resurrection, was the earliest event celebrated by the church. Long before we were lighting Christmas trees and planning pageants, people were preparing for baptism on Easter Sunday to be welcomed into the life and full membership of the church. Because of the significance of the resurrection to our faith, Easter is celebrated each and every Sunday as a “little Easter.” But during Eastertide, the fifty days between Easter and Pentecost, we REALLY celebrate! Our scriptures and songs focus on the new life we have in Christ and remind us that all are beloved children of God and truly have nothing to fear - not even death itself. Alleluia and Amen! 

 

While each Easter leads us through a spiritual journey, this year, for me, the journey of Eastertide will be marked by a physical one. If all goes as planned, this Easter I will be embarking as a pilgrim on the Camino de Santiago. As I have shared with you all, I can’t wait to see what this journey holds. I am sure there will be surprises in the form of both challenges and delights. While I have researched this ancient path, trained for over a year and prepared as best I can, I am also aware that only God knows what will unfold each day as I journey with others, one step at a time. 

 

One thing I do know, is that I will have ample opportunity to slow down and pray. So, in addition to a backpack full of supplies, I will be carrying all of you with me, as well. I will be holding you in prayer this Eastertide. It is my hope that you will pray for me, too, for in some ways, we make this journey together with one another, and with all of our brothers and sisters in faith as we walk together through this season of celebrating love and life on our way to the amazing gifts of Pentecost. 

 

It is customary for pilgrims to wish one another well along the way by saying, “Buen Camino.” So, I will sign off with that salutation to each of you as we enter this Eastertide pilgrimage together. 

 

Buen Camino,

Jennifer

 

No comments:

Post a Comment